Thursday, January 31, 2008

RETURN TO MIDDLE CREEK

Another beautiful January day - 40 degrees and bright blue skies - I picked up Dick Warren and went to Middle Creek. After seeing the snow geese at Prime Hook last week Middle Creek looked empty - at least several thousand snows, several hundred tundras, the resident Canadas, shovelers, blacks, mallards, and a few common mergansers but none close enough to get a good picture. We did see a mature bald eagle worrying the snow geese. The geese were up and down at least 5 times but the eagle did not get his meal while I was there.

The visitors center reopens tomorrow so we have to return next week. I may leave Dick at home after all it is embarrassing to be out walked by a 94 year old.


We left by way of Seglock road and as always it is the most uplifting experience - I do not know if I blogged this before (so forgive me if it is a repeat) but to me Seglock road is a sacred place. Like a great cathedral. I sense the presence of God there. The sun shining through the trees and reflecting off the stream is more beautiful than stained glass, the soft sound of running water and birds in the wood is as good as any anthem by any choir. I am pleased that I am employed there, you see I am God's janitor - my job today was easy just one beer bottle to pick up. Most of the party folks must think it is too cold to be out in the woods and they can stay out - desecrating this magnificent cathedral with trash --- but if is was not for them I would not have the honor and privilege of being God's janitor. Sometimes they make the job hard but my employer always makes it worth my effort.

No comments: