Saturday, October 4, 2008

FRINGED GENTIAN

Bottle Gentian


New England Asters


Wood Sorrel (am I right?)


Dick's favorite - Fringed Gentian


I needed some therapy today. I have been a bit discouraged lately and thought the reason was I had not been in the woods lately. I stopped In to see Dick Warren and suggested that we go see the annual blooming of the Fringed Gentian. It took little persuading as this is Dick's favorite wildflower. They were more abundant at our "regular spot" than I have ever seen them and Dick thought that their color was a deeper blue this year. Once we pulled off the road it was easy to spot hundreds of flowers on the bank, before we left the car, that never happened before. We also saw some very nice New England Aster and One Bottle Gentian and what I believe to be wood sorrel. Perhaps you are like me and do not look forward to the winter with its lack of flowers but the October beauty of the Fringed Gentian is like a promise for God for more beauty coming in the spring. I am already looking forward to Skunk Cabbage in February. Do not stop looking for beauty in God's creation in is always there "if we seek we will find".

No comments: