Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WINTER BIRDS

Winter 2013 -2014 is almost over and spring is just around the corner.   Soon the cold and snow of this record breaking winter will be just a bad memory.  I have not been able to get out much this winter but I hope to make up for that soon.  Last week I spent a afternoon or "car-birding" with Randy Miller and today Florence and I were out birding again here are two of the pics from these trips.  Both are winter birds for our area and I hope they will soon go "home" and our spring flights will be arriving with blossoming wildflowers.  THANK GOD FOR SPRING!

SNOWY OWLS CAME SOUTH THIS YEAR AS AN ABUNDANCE OF FOOD UP NORTH LED TO LARGE NUMBERS OF YOUNG.  THEY WILL SOON BEING RETURNING NORTH TO BREED BUT IT HAS BEEN GOOD TO HAVE THEM VISIT - THIS IMMATURE MALE SNOWY OWL HAD TO SQUINT SO I MISSED SEEING HIS BEAUTIFUL YELLOW EYES.

THE HORNED LARK IS AN ANNUAL WINTER VISITER TO THESE PARTS.  THEY CAN BE FOUND ANYWHERE THE FARMERS ARE SPREADING MANURE.  OH THE JOY OF SPENDING TIME OUT IN THE FRESH AIR.

No comments: