Monday, July 29, 2013

IMPERIAL MOTH EGGS AND CATERPILLARS

Hello friends -  I have been busy with programs, moving to a new site at Root's, and exploring nature.  I should have blogged at least twice in July and hope to catch up with that soon - I was at the butterfly walks at Indiantown Gap and saw more regals butterflies than ever before - today I am working with about 50 little caterpillars with more to hatch soon.

One of our friends from our nature club called us about a female Imperial Moth they saw and I told them to put it in a paper bag and fold down the top so no light gets in.  This stimulated the moth to lay her eggs and the following pics show the result.  At this point they are 1/4 to 3/8 inch long.

caterpillar emerging from egg

caterpillar emerging from egg

caterpillars on Norway Maple Leaf

caterpillars on Norway Maple Leaf

close up of caterpillar and empty egg

caterpillar parade

freshly laid eggs

eggs ready to hatch (can you see the little caterpillar?)



These caterpillars change several times before they pupate and I hope to get pics of each stage.

don b



No comments: