Friday, June 25, 2010

RED BANDED HAIR STREAK

Hello again to my thousands of devoted blog followers(HA HA)

As a member of the Lancaster Entomology Club I enjoy learning from the speakers and other members. Recently one of the members brought in some larva and pupa of the Red Banded Hairstreak (a common butterfly but often unnoticed because of it's size - less than 3/4 inch long). He gave two of the pupa to me. I showed them to the visitors at root's one Tuesday and them gave them to Ken Miller to babysit while I went to KY and DE. One of them failed but the other produced a beautiful adult which I photographed and released. Here are pics of the pupa and adult. (The pupa pic is by Ken Miller and it is laying on the leaf of a Virgina creeper just for an attractive background - the preferred host plant would be sumac.


No comments: